Social protection is a set of policies and programs that are designed to guarantee access to essential services and security transfers in a variety of areas and it is recognized by international labor standards and by the UN as a basic human right and defined according to national priorities. These country-led social protection floors are universal, including individuals of all areas of society. It is an ongoing process which can only lead to further benefits for all, rather than creating a ceiling, or preventing certain groups from profiting from these protections and it is affordable for all countries.
ATD Fourth World is an active member of the Global Coalition for Social Protection Floors, which was was created in 2012 to advocate for social protection based on human rights for all people in all parts of the world. In June 2012, ATD Fourth World presented a joint statement to support the adoption of a strong autonomous ILO Recommendation on the Social Protection Floor signed by 59 NGOs from different parts of the world. As a member of the “core group” of NGOs, ATD Fourth Word assists in planning and implementing coalition activities.
Read ATD Fourth World’s policy paper on Social Protection for the Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals. And use the flyer from the Subcommittee for Social Protection for your own advocacy at the grassroots level.
What can you do to support social protection?
- Sign the Social Protection campaign now!
- Educate yourself with the:
- Share, educate, and involve at the grassroots to advocate for themselves
- Lobby your National Governments to implement Universal Social Protection
- Join with others in activities of the Global Coalition for Social Protection Floors.
- Contact Winifred Doherty at email@example.com for further information.